I’ve been sketching ideas for months and months for a pillow I wanted to create for my best friend. She LOVES orange, and so I’ve been collecting fabric as I went along. I finally sat down and decided I should do SOMETHING, and I had finally gotten all the pieces to try a string quilt, so I decided I’d go with that. I used Film in the Fridge’s tutorial here.
I cut strips of all the orange fabric, and put them into three piles, dark orange, medium orange, goldish/light orange. I used Kona Charcoal for the solid and decided on a whim to do one half of each square as a mixture of light and medium orange, and the other side a mixture of dark and medium orange.
The scrapbooking paper I was using turned out to be more like thin cardstock, which made it super easy to tear off, but also left the seams kinda loose. I’ll have to pick up some thinner paper at some point. I would definitely enjoy making another one of these, it was super fun, quick and easy!
Once I had my four squares, I realized a couple of things. One, my finished pillow was going to be about 23″ square which is HUGE. Two, there’s a lot of different ways to line up four squares!
I tried a few layouts:
Layout #2 is missing because that’s the one I went with.
The first layout reminded me of a sunset, and I thought it was quite pretty. However, I realized it wasn’t really featuring the orange as much as the gold. The third layout just didn’t do it for me at all, so in the end I decided to go with the orange center.
I took some of my scraps, sewed them together randomly, cut it down, and made the back. Then I used my favorite zipper tutorial (here) and voila, new pillow! (I make it sound easy, but really there was a lot of tearing out of seams and a miscalculation on the back which required cutting more fabric, and I couldn’t find my seam ripper so I was tearing out all the seams using a pin. But! Done!)
The pillow is kind of comically large, so I took a picture of it with my St. Bernard, to give some perspective on what a 23″ pillow looks like.
I’m cutting up some fabric to make binding tonight for my sliced coin quilt. So that should FINALLY be done soon, too! Yay, summer!